1. SESAME SHRIMP AND NUTS SALAD
1 cup medium shrimp, cooked and tails removed
½ cup shredded carrots
1 small head napa cabbage, julienned
1 bunch watercress, trimmed
½ cup canned mandarin oranges
¼ cup canned sliced water chestnuts
½ bunch cilantro, chopped
1 bunch scallions, chopped
¾ cup bottled Asian sesame-ginger dressing
½ cup chopped roasted cashews
1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1. Place all ingredients except last two in a large bowl and toss.
2. Place salad in a large serving bowl or on a platter. Sprinkle with cashews and sesame seeds and serve.
|222 CALORIES||14g PROTEIN||19g CARBS||11g FAT|
DID YOU KNOW? In addition to high levelsof healthy omega-3 fats,shrimp contains astaxanthin, a powerful antiinflamatory and antioxidant.
2. CHICKEN ROPA STEW
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 oz olive oil
1 red pepper, diced
1 yellow pepper, diced
½ white onion, diced
½ cup ketchup
1 tsp chicken base
2 tbsp chipotle peppers, canned
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 pint chicken broth
Salt and pepper
1. Cut chicken into large pieces and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken. Sear for 2 minutes, then add peppers and onion. Turn down to low heat.
3. In a blender or food processor, combine ketchup, chicken base, chipotle peppers, both paprikas, and broth. Puree. Pour pureed mixture into chicken pan, turn the heat up to medium-low, and stir.
4. Allow stew to slowly come to a slight simmer, then turn heat down to low. Cover stew and allow to cook for 20 minutes, checking every 5 minutes to prevent burning.
5. Check chicken for tenderness. (It should pull apart.) Take all chicken pieces out, shred them, then return the pieces to stew. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
|387 CALORIES||47g PROTEIN||11gCARBS||FAT17g|
CHEW ON THIS Besides their high protein content,mussels are a good source of selenium, which plays a major role in hormone and sperm production.
3. PRINCE EDWARD MUSSELS
2 tbsp olive oil
½ fennel bulb, thinly sliced
1 tbsp red chilies, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, slivered
2 lbs PEI mussels
1 cup extra-dry vermouth
1 cup red and yellow
2 tbsp smooth Dijon mustardJuice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp salted butter
½ bunch chopped parsley Salt and pepper 8 slices baguette
1. Place a large stockpot over medium-high heat and add oil. Allow oil to get hot; add fennel, chilies, garlic, and mussels.
2. Stir, allowing garlic to become fragrant and light golden brown.
3. Deglaze mussels with vermouth.
4. Add tomatoes, mustard, lemon juice, and butter to pot. Cover and allow to steamfor 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Once mussels have opened (discard ones that don’t), add parsley; season with salt and pepper.
6. Toast baguette slices under a broiler for about a minute. Serve mussels in bowls with broth and slices of toasted baguette.
||36g PROTEIN||53g CARBS||19g FAT|
4. PORK BURGER
1 cup BBQ pulled pork (see instructions) pulled pork (see instructions)
¼ cup BBQ sauce (see instructions) sauce (see instructions)
2 lbs 90% lean ground beef ean ground beef
Kosher salt and ground pepper nd ground pepper
4 slices Wisconsin cheddar cheese sconsin cheddar cheese
Nonfat cooking spray ng spray
4 kaiser rollss
1 cup coleslaw law
1 large tomato, sliced ato, sliced
1 red onion, cut into rings cut into rings
BBQ PULLED PORK AND COLESE LAW:
1 lb Boston butt (pork shoulder) butt (pork shoulder)
2 tbsp Cajun spice n spice
3 cups pork or chicken stock k or chicken stock
¼ cup red-wine vinegar wine vinegar
½ cup carrots, diced medium ts, diced medium
½ cup celery, diced medium y, diced medium
½ cup onions, diced medium
BBQ SAUCE :
1 cup ketchupup
½ cup stone-ground mustard -ground mustard
½ cup Worcestershire sauce estershire sauce
1/3 cup light brown sugar brown sugar
1/3 cup rice-wine vinegar wine vinegar
2 tbsp BBQ rub or Cajun spice rub or Cajun spice
BBQ PULLED PORK :
Preheat oven to 275˚F. Sprinkle pork with to 2 75˚F. Sprinkle pork with Cajun spice; place in a deep roasting pan. place in a deep roasting pan.Add stock, vinegar, and vegetables. Cover with foil and roast for 3 hours. Remove and shred meat with a fork or your hands.
Whisk all ingredients; heat in pan for edients; heat in pan for 10 minutes
1. Mix pork and sauce; heat in a small pan d sauce; heat in a small panover medium heat. heat.
2. Make 4 beef patties; add salt and pepper. ef patties; add salt and pepper.
3. Cook burgers to taste in a broiler or on a ers to taste in a broiler or on agrill. Top with pork and a slice of cheese. pork and a slice of cheese.
4. Spray buns with cooking spray; grill in pan. with cooking spray; grill in pan.
5. Place ¼ cup slaw on bun, then 1 tomato, p slaw on bun, then 1 tomato,
2 onion rings, burger patty, and top bun. burger pat t y, and top bun.
|844 CALORIES||82g PROTEIN||47g CARBS||33g FAT|
5. CHICKEN SKEWERS
CHICKEN AND MARINADE :
2 cups plain low-fat yogurt 2 cups plain low fat yogurt
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1 tbsp ginger juice
2 tsp cinnamon
Salt, to taste
1 tsp white pepper
2 lbs chicken breasts and thighs, diced
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp garlic, minced
2 tbsp jalapeño or Scotch bonnet
pepper, seeded and finely diced
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp sea salt or kosher salt
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 cups tomato puree or paste 2
1 cup half-and-half
½ cup reduced-fat sour cream
14, 16 six-inch skewers Chopped green onions or cilantro, optional
1. Chicken and marinade: Blend yogurt, lemon juice, cayenne, cumin, ginger, ginger juice, cinnamon, salt, and pepper in a bow.
2. Add chicken and allow meat to Add chicken and allow meat tomarinate for at least 30 minutes.
3. Sauce: Melt butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat.
4. Saute garlic and jalapeño for 1 minute. Season with cumin, salt, and paprika.
5. Stir in tomato puree, half-and-half, and sour cream. Simmer on low heat about 20 minutes, until sauce thickens.
6. Preheat grill to medium-high.
7. Thread chicken onto skewers; grill on first side for 34 minutes. Flip and repeat. Once cooked on second side, brush both sides with warm sauce and garnish with chopped green onions or cilantro if desired.
|201 CALORIES||8g PROTEIN||33g CARBS||6g FAT|
6. WILD MUSHROOM AND BUTTERNUT BARLOTTO
5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups pearl barley
1 bay leaf
1 medium butternut squash
5 tbsp olive oil, divided
2 shallots, minced
1 garlic clove, sliced
2 cups maitake mushrooms, sliced
2 cups oyster mushrooms, sliced
2 cups cremini mushrooms, quartered
½ cup white wine
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
2 tbsp fine herbs (chives, parsley, tarragon, chopped)
Salt and pepper
1. Bring broth to a boil and add barley and bay leaf.
2. Cook for 30, 35 minutes. Spread on a sheet pan to cool. sheet pan to cool.
3. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
4. Peel squash. Cut off the bottom, and Peel squash. Cut off the bottom, andsplit it down the center. Remove all seeds, then dice.
5. Toss squash with 2 tbsp olive oil, then place on a baking sheet. Cook in oven
15, 20 minutes.
6. In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add 3 tbsp olive oil, shallots, and garlic.
7. Sweat shallots and garlic, then add mushrooms. Sauté until tender.
8. Deglaze pan with wine. (Heat until sauce forms.)
9. Add broth, barley, and squash and continue to cook over medium heat.
10. Once barley begins to thicken, add cheese and finish with herbs.
|579 CALORIES||24g PROTEIN||87g CARBS||14g FAT|
7. PASTA FAGIOLI
4 tbsp olive oil
1½ cups onions, chopped 1½ cups onions, chopped
1 cup sliced carrots (¼-inch half-moon shape)
1 cup celery, diced
12 cups low-sodium chicken stock
4 cups canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup roasted red pepper, diced
½ cup minced garlic
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
5 cups cooked chicken
4 cups red tomatoes, roughly chopped
¼ cup fresh parsley leaves, minced
3 cups fusilli, cooked
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp fresh oregano leaves, minced
6 fresh basil leaves, rolled and sliced
1. In a soup pot, heat oil over medium heat until hot.
2. Add onions, carrots, and celery, searing vegetables until carrots have browned, 23 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to medium low, then add stock, beans, red pepper, garlic, salt, and pepper. Simmer until vegetables and beans soften.
4. Add chicken, tomatoes, and parsley, and allow soup to cook until tomatoes have softened. Finally, reduce heat to low and add pasta, cheese, oregano, and basil. Cook 2030 more minutes.
|570 CALORIES||44g PROTEIN||77g CARBS||10g FAT|
QUICK TIP If you’re watching your carbs, eat it straight off the plate. For times when you aren’t plate. For times when you aren’t as carb-conscious, portion it out over garlic bread, which is Chef Irvine’s personal favorite and described in the instructions.
8. PORK TENDERLOIN APPETIZERS
2 tbsp olive oil
3 lbs pork tenderloin
¼–½ cup roasted garlic pepper
1 red onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 orange bell pepper, diced
½ cup honey
¼ cup red-wine vinegar
½ cup red wine
2 tbsp Tabasco sauce
½ cup cranberry sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Heat oil in large sauté pan, and sear pork on all sides.
3. Transfer pork to roasting pan, rub with garlic pepper, and roast in oven until tender for 45–60 minutes. Allow pork to rest 8–10 minutes before slicing.
4. While pork is in oven, heat onion and peppers in hot skillet (dry, no oil) for 3 minutes, removing liquid by “sweating them down.”
5. Add honey, vinegar, wine, Tabasco sauce, and cranberry sauce. Tabasco sauce, and cranberry sauce.Stir well. Reduce over medium-low heat until no liquid remains and marmalade is thick.
6. Slice pork and assemble appetizers by layering a pork medallion and a small amount of marmalade on a slice of garlic bread. You can also enjoy as a dip, entrée, or sandwich.
|305 CALORIES||34g PROTEIN||19g CARBS||9g FAT|
FOR THE GARLIC BREAD (OPTIONAL): 4 tbsp butter, 2 oz extra-virgin olive oil, 4 garlic cloves (minced) or 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 long baguette (cut into ½-inch slices). Melt butter in oil over low heat. Add garlic and cook until soft. Assemble bread slices on baking sheet and spoon garlic mixture onto each. Lightly toast bread in oven while pork sits.
9. SNAPPER CRUDO
6 (5 oz) yellowtail snapper wtail snapperfillets, skin off off
3 mangoes, sliced sliced
2 tbsp minced ginger ed ginger
¼ cup Thai basil, shredded asil, shredded
¼ cup cilantro, shredded o, shredded
1 red onion, sliced thin sliced thin
4 tbsp green onion, sliced n onion, sliced thinJuice and zest of 2 limes t of 2 limes
1 Thai chili, minced minced
1 red jalapeño, sliced thin, ño, sliced thin, seeds removed oved
2 oz mirin
2 tbsp sambal oelek al oelek
2 oz rice vinegar egar
4 tbsp canola oil a oil
2 tbsp fish sauce auce
½ cup coconut water
1. Cut snapper into large dice. r into large dice.Based on availability, you can ability, you cansubstitute a different kind of fferent kind ofsnapper or scallops. allops.
2. Place diced snapper in a snapper in a mixing bowl. Add mangoes, Add mangoes,ginger, herbs, onion, zest, and onion, zest, andrefrigerate.
3. In a second bowl, mix chili, bowl, mix chili,jalapeño, and all liquid all liquidingredients. Allow to sit for low to sit for20 minutes.
4. Add marinade to snap- de to snapper and mango. Lightly toss o. Lightly tossand serve.
|502 CALORIES||42g PROTEIN||43g CARBS||17g FAT|
10. SEARED RIB EYE, SALSA VERDE, & DIRTY RICE
SALSA VERDE :
2 large green tomatoes
¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
¼ cup small yellow onion, diced
2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
2 jalapeños, seeded
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
½ cup small yellow onion, diced
1 cup cooked black beans
2 tbsp small carrots, diced and
previously boiled, semisoft
½ cup tomato juice
3 cups white or brown rice, cooked
½ cup celery leaves, tips only
1 tbsp Cajun spice
2 tbsp olive oil
4 8 oz rib eye steaks, trimmed
1 tbsp sea or kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Salsa verde: Dice tomatoes, then puree them in a food processor or blender. puree them in a food processor or blender.
2. Add cilantro, onion, vinegar, garlic, oil, and jalapeños to the mixture and purée again. Taste, then season with salt and pepper. Place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to merge.
3. Dirty rice: Warm oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Next, add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until they’re slightly translucent, 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Add beans and carrots; allow to warm.
5. Add juice and reduce heat to mediumlow. Continue to cook until juice has reduced to ¼ cup, 3 to 4 minutes.
6. Next, add rice. Warm mixture to blend the flavors, over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
7. Once rice has warmed and juice has finished reducing, remove from heat and add celery. Taste and season to preference with Cajun spice.
8. Steaks: Warm oil in a large sauté pan over high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Season steaks on both sides with salt and pepper, then add to pan. Reduce to medium-high heat and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
9. Flip steaks and repeat the process on the second side for about 3 to 4 minutes.
10. Remove steaks from pan and allow them to rest for a few minutes. Serve over dirty rice, and finish with salsa verde.
|775 CALORIES||59g PROTEIN||76g CARBS||25g FAT|
GOOD IN ANY In Italian, crudo means raw.The benefits of going raw:Cooking can damage someenzymes and proteins.