YOU LOST THE WEIGHT FOR BEACH-BODY SEASON. WE ROUNDED UP OUR BEST TIPS TO HELP YOU KEEP IT OFF.
1. SQUAT HEAVY. The more muscles you can recruit with proper form, the stronger you’ll get and the more fat you’ll burn.
2. EAT SIX SMALL MEALS A DAY. Stocking your body with food every three to four hours can help rev your metabolism.
3. RUN 10 100-YARD SPRINTS to burn up to 500 calories.
4. WAIT 20 MINUTES before going for a second helping.
5. THROW ON A HOODIE BEFORE WORKING OUT. When your muscles are warm, you burn more calories.
6. USE A SMALLER dinner plate to limit how much you can pile on.
7. USE A BLUE DINNER PLATE. Studies show the color blue has an appetite suppressing effect (as opposed to red and yellow plates).
8. SUB IN NONFAT GREEK YOGURT for mayonnaise and sour cream—you’ll save 600 calories and 100 calories per half cup, respectively.
9. EAT PEANUTS FROM THEIR SHELLS. You’ll nosh on 50% fewer nuts in a sitting just trying to crack them open before eating.
10. CHEW ON SUGARFREE MINT GUM AFTER A MEAL. Mint flavours send signals to your brain that it’s time to stop eating.
11. TAKE UP POWER YOGA. You can burn up to 344 calories a class.
12. TRAIN FASTED ONCE A WEEK. This helps the body to keep adrenaline high and blood sugar low.
13. REPLACE YOUR morning bagel and juice with a bowl of oatmeal and protein-packed eggs.
14. WORK OUT WITH YOUR PARTNER. Couples who train together are 34% more likely to stick to their workouts.
15. EAT AT THE kitchen table—not on the couch.
16. DRINK MORE WATER. Being dehydrated can fool your body into feeling hungry.
17. POACH (don’t fry) eggs, poultry, and fish.
18. HIT THE POOL. Swim laps or run in the water if you can touch the bottom safely.
19. TAKE A REAL “BEFORE” PHOTO. You’ll be more motivated knowing what you look like and where you want to go.
20. FOR YOUR MORNING COFFEE, switch to skim milk instead of cream and sugar and save 105 calories.
21. BIKE TO WORK to burn about 500 cals an hour.
22. CHOOSE ELLIPTICALS WITH HANDLES. You’ll recruit muscles in your arms and burn more calories overall.
23. DOWNLOAD A FIT APP like a fast-food calorie counter or a digital workout log.
24. CRUST PROTEINS WITH PANKO CRUMBS. They’ll stick to pork chops and skinless chicken breasts without the need for higher-calorie breads made of eggs and flour.
25. ADD STRAWBERRIES TO YOUR WHEY PROTEIN SHAKE. These superfruits amp up the fiber—it’ll help you feel fuller.
26. OPT FOR DARK CHOCOLATE OVER MILK CHOCOLATE. It contains less sugar and more energy-boosting antioxidants.
27. PORTION-CONTROL POTATOES AND PASTAS. Servings of starches should never be bigger than a baseball.
28. LOOK FOR THESE KEY WORDS ON RESTAURANT MENUS: grilled, baked, sautéed, steamed, oven-fried, roasted, marinara, and primavera.
29. DRINK TEA. It’s loaded with fat-burning antioxidants.
30. KEEP YOUR BODY GUESSING. Swap out your old program for a new one every four to six weeks.
31. SIZE UP YOUR PROTEINS. A 3- to 5-ounce serving should be about as big as a smartphone.
32. START RUNNING. Sounds obvious, but just try running as far as you can. The next day, go for a minute longer. Within a few weeks, you’ll notice how much farther you can run than when you first started.
33. THROW A TOWEL over the treadmill display console. Just concentrate on pushing yourself harder..
34. SNACK THE SMART WAY. A small bag of air-popped popcorn instead of corn chips saves you 60 calories..
35. GO ROCK CLIMBING. Even if you just hit an indoor rock wall, you can torch more than 700 calories an hour. .
36. FIND YOUR ROCKBOTTOM MOMENT. Draw from the point in your life when you knew you had to make a change.
37. GET A DOG (OR BORROW ONE). Taking Fido for a walk 20 minutes a day can help you shed 14 pounds a year.
38. EAT BEANS. This high-fiber, proteinpacked staple will help your body incinerate fat. Purée them for stews or toss with oil and vinegar and serve as a side dish.
39. GET OFF THE COUCH. Do quick sets of pushups, situps, or jumping jacks during commercial breaks.
40. CLEAN OUT YOUR KITCHEN. Remove temptation at home and you’re much more likely to stick to your plan.
41. PLAN CHEAT MEALS. If you’re strict all week, one pig-out will get your body primed for more weight loss.
42. ORDER CHICKEN FINGERS INSTEAD OF WINGS. They’ve got more protein and significantly less fat, sodium, and calories.
43. DO PUSHUPS every morning to jump-start your day and get extra upper body training.
44. JUMP ROPE. In 10 minutes you’ll burn the same number of calories as you would on a 15-minute jog.
45. DON’T QUIT COLD TURKEY ON YOUR FAVORITE FOODS. You’ll be more apt to fall off the wagon.
46. JOT SHORT-TERM GOALS ON INDEX CARDS. Once they’re met, add them to a pile. Having a stack of accomplishments will boost your confidence.
47. USE THE BACK OF A TEASPOON when tasting your dishes during food prep. Every time you taste something, you’ll take in far fewer calories.
48. LOAD UP ON FIBER. Lentils, beans, eda DO PUSHUPS every morning to jump-start your day and get extra upperbody training. mame, and pears are all great sources.
49. DON’T UNDO YOUR TRAINING. Eating a slice of wholewheat bread with peanut butter can keep you from pigging out after a hard workout.
50. DO BURPEES. They’re a compound exercise that work nearly every muscle in your body.
51. SKIP THE ELEVATOR. Take the stairs to burn about 100 cals every 10 minutes you climb.
52. DON’T DRENCH YOUR SALAD IN FAT. Balsamic vinegar saves 60 cals per tbsp over creamy dressings like ranch.
53. HOLD THE FRIES and the cheese from your burger to save 300 calories.
54. WRITE DOWN EVERYTHING YOU EAT. Trim 250 calories a day and you can shed up to two pounds a month.
55. RUN RESISTANCE SPRINTS. Strap on an elastic exercise band to make the sprints harder and burn more fat.
56. TRAIN WITH A BUDDY, especially one who’s stronger—he’ll push you to work harder.
57. DON’T SKIP BREAKFAST. A high-nutrient breakfast gets your body off to a good calorie-burning start. Shoot for 400 to 600 calories within an hour of waking up.
58. DINE OUT SMARTER. Ask your server to bring half your entrée to the table, and pack the other half to go.
59. GO OUT FOR LUNCH TWICE monthly instead of twice weekly.
60. STASH SWEETS IN OUT-OF-SIGHT PLACES, like on high shelves or deep inside your cupboards.
61. PARTY CLEAN. Snack on fruit before heading out to keep you from binging on chips later.
62. LOSE THE TAKEOUT MENUS. Cook your own food, and you’ll always know exactly what you’re eating.
63. CHALLENGE A BUDDY TO A PICK-UP GAME OF HOOPS. You could burn more than 500 calories without even realizing how hard you’re playing.
64. GET NEW SNEAKERS. After about 500 miles, it’s time for a new pair. New shoes mean more motivation.
65. BUY A FITNESS TRACKER. Strive to get in at least 10,000 steps a day.
66. GET AT LEAST SEVEN HOURS OF SLEEP. Sleep deprivation can wreak havoc on your metabolism.
67. COAT YOUR SKILLET with cooking spray instead of butter. Most sprays contain zero calories and zero fat (versus 102 cals and 12g per tbsp butter).
68. DO PULLUPS. They work more muscles than lat pulldowns.
69.HAVING A PARTY? Bring leftovers to the office instead of letting those extra chips, cookies, and cake pile up around your pad. Let your co- workers finish them off instead.
70. BUY INDIVIDUALSIZE PORTIONS of your favorite snack foods.
71. MANAGE YOUR TIME WISELY. Studies show that stress triggers the hormone cortisol to turn up your appetite.
72. EAT MORE AVOCADOS. They’re loaded with the kinds of healthy fats you need to keep your body burning fat.
73. EAT LESS SUGAR. Limit yourself to no more than 72 grams a day.
74. TRAIN ABS HEAVY. Instead of regular situps, try doing a couple of sets with the heaviest weights you can hold.
75. BE UNCONVENTIONAL. Working with odd- shaped equipment like SandBells and truck tires helps your body recruit more muscle.
76. ADD HEAT TO YOUR DINNER. Fiery spices (and hot peppers) can speed up your metabolism and help you to eat slower.
77. TRAIN LIKE A FIGHTER. The crosstraining of mixed martial artists is second to none. Add in plyometrics and put together some supersets, keeping your rest periods low to start.
78. AVOID PROCESSED FOODS that contain trans fat, a manufactured fat that’s difficult for your body to break down.
79. CUT 200 CALORIES OUT OF YOUR MAC ’N CHEESE. Swap half a cup of shredded cheddar cheese for half a cup of puréed cauliflower and butternut squash in your recipe.
80. TAKE YOUR KIDS TO THE PARK. You can do all your pullups and ab work with the kind of equipment you’ll find in a playground.
81. CHEW SLOWLY. Studies show it’ll help you eat much less.
82. KNOW YOUR NUMBERS. Monitor everything from your calories to your weight to your body-fat percentage.
83. DO HOUSEHOLD CHORES. Burn calories while mowing the lawn (200 calories per 30 minutes), raking leaves (178), or washing your car (200).
84. DON’T WAIT IN LINE FOR A TREADMILL. Do a few sets of box jumps or mountain climbers to get warmed up.
85. TRY OSTRICH. It’s leaner than most beef you can find at your grocer.
86. LOAD UP ON LOW-FAT COTTAGE CHEESE. It’s a great source of calcium, and packs about 160 calories per cup.
87. SWAP A SIDE OF RICE with a low-cal veggie like broccoli. You can save 150 calories per serving.
88. CUT REST PERIODS in half while lifting. Your muscles and cardiovascular system will have to work harder, burning more fat.
89. WHEN EATING OUT, ask for sauces on the side. You’ll eat less and save tons of calories.
90. BE WARY OF “ZERO-CALORIE” FOODS. If a product has less than five calories per serving, it can be labeled zero calories.
91. BRUSH YOUR TEETH BEFORE BED— SHIRTLESS. You’ll see your progress in the mirror and get psyched to work out the next morning.
92. RUN INTERVALS. Turn your body into a fat Turn your body into a fatfighting furnace by alternating fighting furnace by alternating sprints with jogs.
93. SET A FEW SIMPLE GOALS every morning—getting in 30 minutes of ing—getting in 30 minutes of training, skipping your after training, skipping your afternoon junk-food binge. Meet them and build off of them for even bigger accomplish.
94. FINISH A CROSSWORD WHILE WATCHING TV. You’ll be less likely to eat if your fingers are busy.
95. DON’T HOLD ON. The guys on the cardio machines who hold onto the frame are usually out of shape.
96. SNACK ON PISTACHIOS instead of pretzels.
97. GET A PHYSICAL EVERY YEAR. Poor health will be found on a routine doctors visit.
98. MAKE PEANUT BUTTER BETTER.One tbsp of PB has about 100 calories. Cut back by mixing equal parts PB with cooked carrots or sweet potato in a food processor until smooth.
99. TRAIN WITH ELASTIC BANDS on days you can’t make it to the gym.
100. DRINK RESPONSIBLY. Steer clear of mixed drinks. Stick with a light beer or glass of wine. Or at least something made with a low-cal mixer, like diet soda or seltzer.
101. COMBINE CARDIO AND WEIGHTS. Try the Prowler, jump rope between sets, or string together some exercises into the circuits.