More than just a pizza topping, anchovies are a versatile ingredient that is high in protein and adds a savory punch to any dish
1. FLAVOUR YOUR VEGGIES Stove-cooked anchovies dissolve and create a powerful flavour. Add a few whole, rinsed anchovies to a pan over medium heat with garlic, olive oil, and a large squeeze of lemon. Once they’ve dissolved, throw in chopped veggies and sauté. Use as a side dish, or mix with whole-wheat pasta.
2. DRESS YOUR SALAD Make a healthy Caesar salad dressing by adding the following ingredients into a high-powered blender: 2 rinsed anchovies
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp plain Greek yogurt ¼ cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, and a dash of hot sauce.
3. TOSS INTO A PESTO Blend 4 to 6 drained and rinsed anchovies with 1 to 1½ cups fresh basil, 3 garlic cloves, the juice of ½ lemon, ¾ cup pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, and ½ cup parmesan cheese. Add 1 cup baby kale and 2 tbsp water. Reblend to desired consistency.
4. STRAIGHT FROM THE TIN While anchovies can be an acquired taste, these little fish are packed to the gills with flavour. And they’re healthy too. One serving of anchovies has only 60 calories and more than 8 grams of protein. You’ll also receive a healthy dose of omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B3, calcium, and iron. Omega-3s are a healthy unsaturated fat that can help lower inflammation and chances of cardiovascular disease.
Omega 3’s help improve recovery after exercise for a variety reasons. Do you know your inflammatory response? Or how effectively you absorb and process Omega 3’s? DNA Profiling, and unlocking your genetic gifts may hold to key to a fitter, healthier and happier you.
5. AS AN APPETIZER Anchovies are a staple in many tapenades. Whip this up for an appetizer on top of sliced cucumbers or whole-grain crackers, or for your entrée use on top of grilled chicken or fish. In a food processor mix 1 cup pitted kalamata olives, ¾ cup sundried tomatoes, 2 to 3 anchovies (drained and rinsed), 1 tbsp capers, 2 garlic cloves, ½ cup olive oil, ¼ cup basil leaves, and crushed red pepper (or fresh black pepper). Adjust quantities to taste.
CHEW ON THIS To decrease their sodium, drain and rinse anchovies before cooking or eating them.