2 tbsp olive oil
½ cup finely diced white onions
½ cup thinly sliced celery
1 large garlic clove, minced
6 oz oyster mushrooms, chopped
2 bay leaves
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 (14½ oz) can chopped tomatoes cup barley
1 medium roasted chicken, shredded 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley Zest of ½ lemon
1) Preheat a large soup pot on medium heat for 1 minute. Add oil and sauté onions and celery for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not brown.
2) Add garlic, mushrooms, and bay leaves and continue sautéing for an additional 3 minutes. Add broth and tomatoes. Stir and bring to a boil. 3) Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and partially cover with lid. Cook for 15 minutes.
4) Add barley and cook for 20 minutes.
5) Add chicken and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes.
6) Add parsley and lemon zest.
|MACROS PER SERVING|
Although technically pearled barley is not considered a whole grain, the high fifiber content enables it to be counted toward your whole-grain servings. It comes in two forms, either pearled or “quick,” which is perfect for soups.